Impacts Of Migration Around The Globe

Immigration has existed during the whole history of humankind and people have moved from their home places for centuries, for all sorts of reasons. Despite of the concerns about its economic and social implications, the movement of people across the world shows great increase in global productivity. 

More than 90% of the world’s migrant population moved voluntarily and usually for economic reasons. The remaining 10% are refugees and asylum seekers who have fled to another country to escape conflict and persecution. 

Destination and origin countries may experience both gains and losses in the short term but may stand to gain over the longer term.


Positive impacts:

  • Expanding the labour market; 
  • Increased cultural diversity;
  • Skill gaps are filled;
  • Boost to the local economy;
  • Public services can benefit from an influx of qualified staff (e.g. doctors and nurses).

Negatives impacts:

  • Pressure on public services such as schools, housing and healthcare;
  • Overcrowding;
  • Language and cultural barriers can exist;
  • Increased level of pollution;
  • Increased pressure on natural resources;
  • Racial tensions and discrimination;
  • Gender imbalance – usually more men migrate.



Positive impacts:

  • Unemployment can reduce as there is less competition for jobs;
  • Less pressure on natural resources including food and water;
  • When migrants return, they bring new skills and knowledge;
  • There is less pressure on services such as education and healthcare;
  • Money is often sent back to family and friends (known as remittances), boosting the local economy. 

Negatives impacts:

  • There are fewer people to pay tax, so it could increase;
  • Fewer skilled migrants, as those with skills and education, tend to be the people who migrate. This is also known as brain-drain;
  • Brain drain (the loss of trained and educated individuals to emigration ) could have a negative impact on economic development;
  • Families separated by borders;
  • There are often gender imbalances, as it is often males who move.



Positive impacts:

  • The opportunity to get a better job;
  • Improved quality of life;
  • The opportunity for a better education.
  • Independence from political, economic, social and ecological factors in your country of origin.

Negative impacts:

  • Issues communicating due to language barriers;
  • Migrants can be exploited;
  • Migrants may experience racism.


As a result of the COVID-19 global pandemic, global human mobility has been fundamentally altered. Many countries have implemented restrictions on entry and exit, tightened quarantine rules and taken other measures in an attempt to slow the spread of COVID-19.

Some countries started to introduce more effective immigration concessions to facilitate applications; for example, moving to online applications, accepting soft copies of documents, granting automatic extension approval and more. 

When the dust settles and some semblance of normalcy returns, we will see a clearer picture what this global pandemic has brought all of us. When that time eventually does come, many will have noticed the difference of migrating and investing to a second passport made throughout these direst of times.

As such, we recommend that if you are considering any form of immigration or citizenship application, whether now or in a years’ time, you begin this process now. This is to ensure that you are in control and can plan for the continued effects of the pandemic. 

Vazir Group operations adjust to meet the increased demand for alternative residence and citizenship during challenging times. The risks to one’s health cannot be underestimated. But the risks to one’s future cannot be ignored. 

Vazir Group offers you the most effective and profitable investment solutions that reflect your goals and objectives to the maximum. 

Related Posts

©2024 Vazir Group

Created by

Vazir Group processes your personal data in line with its privacy policy, which explains what personal data it collects, how and why it uses it, who it may disclose it to, your rights in relation to your personal data, and how to contact the business and supervisory authorities if you have a query or complaint about the use of your personal data. View our Privacy Policy.